The Gallery area, its exhibitions and events, as well as lunch and daily refreshments, are open to everyone. Please do remember that anyone can join and you might like to ask about this when you visit.
Please note that the library will be closed on Friday 11th and Saturday 12th of November 2016 for a private workshop. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
1. The nature of our special collection necessitates that access to some parts of the Library is restricted to members and researchers only.
2. There are occasions when the Gallery is closed to the public due to meetings, private functions or exhibition changes. For this reason, we advise that you contact us in advance, particularly if you are travelling over a long distance to visit us.
3. We request that any larger groups call ahead to inform us of your plans to visit The Portico. This will allow us to make any necessary arrangements and dedicate enough time to facilitate your visit to everyone's best advantage. The Library offers group tours by arrangement. Please contact us us to learn more.
4. The Library is closed on Bank Holidays and for a week approximately over the Christmas and New Year period (please check for precise dates as these change from year to year).
5. We now have stairlift access, so if you have difficulty in using the stairs at the main Library entrance, please press the intercom and let us know that you wish to use the stairlift. You will be asked to go to our Back George Street entrance where a member of staff will open the door for you (identified with our brass plaque and an intercom) and help you with access.